Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Foot: Waiting For Superman

     This weekend I watched the movie Waiting For Superman. It is about education reform and I would like to call it more a documentary than a movie. I was expecting for it to be like Freedom Writers, but it was not. Instead, it followed the lives of about four student's whom were trying to get into the best school's so they wouldn't end up as drop outs. I hope every single person watches this movie, so they can realize how unfair the education system is to students. It is not right that students have to wait in fear for their name to be called out of the lottery. There were schools that had over a thousand applications to get in, only to accept like 60 students. Some of the parents didn't even want to take their children to the lottery because they didn't want to see how they would react if they didn't get accepted.
     This movie actually made me want to cry. A mother was spending $500 a month for her daughter to go to a decent school, a boy moved away to a boarding school, so he could have a future and parents were willing to drive an hour away just for education for their child. There is something wrong with this picture and we need to fix it. But how can we fix it when no one is willing to listen to us? Students are suffering and the government is just too into themselves to look how others are affected. I encourage you all to watch it. It will be showing this weekend, March 11 and 12 at the Kiva!

Below is a clip from the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad someone else watched this movie!! Isn't it amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie too! It made me really angry at the end when they were calling the results for the lottery. I can't even imagine having pretty much your entire future academic career depend on the calling of a number drawn out of a box or a bingo ball holder. I also found it shocking that so few seats were available in each grade for some of them. I think there was one where it was about 7 seats open for about 75 possible students. Just crazy!

    ReplyDelete