Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Foot: Pleasure Reading

The Purpose Driven Life
Over break I have been reading The Purpose Driven Life. It is a religious book that is basically a devotional book to be read everyday for forty days. It is supposed to help you find out how to live your best life based on what you were put here to do. The reason for this post is not to make you believe what I believe. I think this book is great. At times some of the questions and comments are quite heavy and hard to comprehend. It has many bible verses and if any of you have read the Bible you will know how confusing it can be. What I like about this book, is that is has many chapters and each are quite brief and recaps at the end of the chapters. I find it easier to read a book if the chapters are shorter. I'm the type of person that wants to start something and get it done, which is one reason I have a hard time with blogging. I want to post everything for the next blog post as soon as I get the rubric. Letting things linger drives me crazy! With shorter chapters I can stay focused on the certain part of the book better for those minimal pages than if it dragged on for 20 or more. 
      The second thing I like about it is that it gives recaps. This is like having a discussion in class after having a class read a few chapters. You don't talk about every detail about the book, but rather the important parts. At the end of this text, it has a point to ponder, a verse to remember and a question to consider. It makes me feel like I got what I needed out of reading and let's me ponder about what just went through my mind and what I should do with what I just read. I think this is something I could do everyday in my future classroom. I should leave students thinking about a topic, remembering something important and considering a question that deals with what we spent the class time doing. 
     I'm not far into the book, but so far I am really enjoying it. If any of you are interested in this type of reading, I recommend you go to the book's site to learn a little more about it. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestion! This seems like a really interesting book and I think I may have even heard someone talking about it before. I just found a book I want to read when I get the time one is called Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul. It looks really good and it's also in short chapter with many subheadings, which always helps me to get through a book. This link has a few quotes from the book.

    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/7355.Stasi_Eldredge

    ReplyDelete