Friday, February 25, 2011

Foot: Online Articles

Brave New World of Digital Intimacy
            These articles do not really seem like scholarly articles to me. It’s not that they aren’t accurate, but  the rest of the class and I have been living this for the past five years, at least. We know firsthand experience on having Facebook before the News Feed and after. We also know about uploading pictures and tagging where you are. For older people, this article would probably be fascinating because it’s so different from their usual lives, but for us it’s just an everyday encounter.
            I was pleased to learn the term ambient awareness. That is so true. We do get attached to people and feel that we know them after reading their posts. I thought this quote was funny, yet true, “It’s just like living in a village, where it’s actually hard to lie because everybody knows the truth already,” Tufekci said. Facebook is like a little village, where everyone knows the business of everyone else. I come from a little village, so practically nothing of mine can be kept a secret, unless I don’t tell anyone, which is the smartest thing to do if you want it to be kept private. It’s not long before one person tells someone else, who in turn tells another person. At times you have to think before posting something, but then again, shouldn’t we always think before we speak?

You’re Leaving a Digital Trail. What About Privacy?
            This article is true, and while we are leaving a trail of where we have been, when haven’t we done that in the past? Most of us are 20 years-old. Until college we were kept track of at least 180 days a year. In the summer you might have had a little freedom, but still most likely someone knew where you were and a round of a bout idea of what you were doing. People seem like they would not live without their cell phones. We might be being tracked on them, but couldn’t the government wire tap our landlines as well? I’m sure a lot of this information gets documented, but how much actually gets used? I think it’s freaky that people are watching your every step, but I also think there can be things done about it. There was a girl on the news the other day that said she regularly goes to the gym and one day a guy added her on Facebook and wrote her some kind of note. She was freaked out by this because she never had met him, told him her name, or wore a shirt with her name on it. She didn’t know how he found out who she was. If I was that girl, I would easily be identifiable. For one, I wear shirts from my high school or races all the time and there are not very many people with my last name. It’s not hard to figure things out, once you know a little. What I was trying to show was it doesn’t have to be media to follow someone. Sure the guy was following her on Facebook, but he first had to follow her at the gym to even be able to add her on Facebook.

Letter From Japan. I <3 Novels.
            This article about a different type of novels related to me how children and adults can read anything and get benefits out of it. People were unsure of the cell-phone novels because they were written backwards, and originally written on a phone. It did not comply with their ordinary standards. I think it is a great way to get a story down. It’s not the most conventional but it works and allows people, mostly girls to tell their story. In the articles it talked about how the cell-phone novels tell what girls already know. That might be true, but it seems to me that’s what intrigues them and gives them an ally in hard times.

No comments:

Post a Comment