Friday, January 28, 2011

Foot: The Socially Networked Classroom

Chapter 3
I was horrified when we talked about the canon the first day. We never really read much of it in my high school and they definitely didn't refer to it as the canon. So, when I heard we were going to each have our own wiki page with a part of it I was a little nervous. I'm glad I got something that I at least have read some of his works, Poe. Even though I haven't started working on mine yet, I'm excited to see the finished project and I think this will really help me out in the future with more than likely having to teach a lot of it. 

Online reading portfolios was another idea that caught my eye. While I do think more students should read in their free time, I think that two hours a week would be asking a lot out of high school students. I realize Dr. Kists modal was probably made for us, in college, but there are certain teachers that would probably try that in their high school classrooms. Silent reading is good and will help students with so many issues but it's very hard to complete out of class in high school. I think more time should be given in class to read than having to do it outside. There are so many activities available today to students that reading is probably not the first thing they would do. We have to figure out a way of getting them to read while enjoying the text in and out of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment