Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WordGirl

       So, I was flipping through the channels last week and stumbled across a program on PBS. Now I use to be a big PBS fan when I was little. I watched Arthur, The Big Comfy Couch, Clifford and who knows what else. The shows were awesome in my terms, but they probably weren't educational. I mean The Big Comfy Couch did teach me how to stretch and Arthur always was learning how to do something, but it wasn't as blatantly obvious as the show I stopped on the other day.
      The show was WordGirl. I did not watch the whole thing, but I watched long enough to see what it was about. I know were going to be high school teachers, so this is probably not something you would want to use in your classroom, but it does show the availability of useful television programs. WordGirl was like a superhero and she would teach you two words per show.
        That day the words were abrupt and revolution. The words were told and shown on screen at the beginning. Throughout the half hour program they would teach you about the words and use them in the storyline. For example, Wordgirl came to an abrupt halt. She showed you the word, told you the word and then acted it out. Sounds like multiple modalities to me. We all can use a kid show every now and then. Perhaps this would be a better show for some children because it actually does teach vocabulary words.
The clip below is not from the episode I saw, but it gives you an idea of what the show is like. 

2 comments:

  1. That's really fun, but I think that with how much television is used, it is important to have these kinds of shows to help teach children literacy. I remember A LOT of what I learned came from Barney and Sesame Street. Some of the shows on today wouldn't have helped me as a child, but I like the idea of this show. One of my favorite, I think it runs on PBS is Word World, I love that the animals are made out of letters that spell what they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wordgirl sounds pretty intense, I have a two year old nephew and I'm always looking for new things that might help him to learn. This sounds like something he may have to wait a couple years to get the full experience out of it, but he loves superheroes so who knows. I've never heard o f it so thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete