Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chapter 3

One important problem I saw with dependent readers is that they will continue reading something even if they have no clue what it's saying. I know we all just want to finish whatever tasks we have to perform, to check of that check list but just reading will not get us or students anywhere. At times I find myself just reading and not really comprehending what it is that I'm reading so I have to go back and skim over the selection to see what it was that I was just glazing over. Everyone does it, perhaps we get caught up in something that's going on around us or think of an upcoming event but what students need most is to stay intrigued in their readings. It's not so much how much they read but what they get out of what they actually read and comprehend. I think this is why so many teachers give quizzes after readings, to make sure that students know what they are actually reading about and have learned something from the reading. 


A lot of dependent readers probably think that independent readers get all the answers right just because they're smart. Which in some cases could be true but most of the time the independent reader knows what to do because of the skills they have developed. What I liked about this chapter of the book was the strategies that good readers do. I'm not saying I'm an excellent reader but I know when I'm understanding something and when I have to try something else because I'm lost in my reading. Thus, good readers
  • recognize the purpose for reading
  • use a variety of comprehension strategies
  • make a range of inferences
  • use their prior knowledge
  • and monitor their reading 
It does not seem like that many things are going on in your head when you read but in actuality if you are a good reader there are. Dependent readers need to be aware of these types of skills so they can try to use them to while they are reading to help them become better readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment